11.05.2009

Writing...

3 weeks until we hit the studio. 3 weeks to finish two more songs. Pressure can be good for writing but it can also be bad. I get frustrated a lot when writing. I'm feeling rather tapped out lately since I've written/co-written eight, going on nine songs for the new album. I just want things to go smoothly and for everyone to have their head in a positive space. It's tough sometimes though. I'll be the first to admit I'm not always in that space myself.

The song we were working on tonight is referred to as "Big Al." It's got a lot of parts we've never really touched on before, so I'm interested to see how it fits in with the rest of the songs as well as how it's received by people who like our other stuff. I'm hoping we can get "Big Al" and one more song done by the 20th, that way we'll have time to get the pre-production stuff knocked out the days before we enter the studio. Here's what we have so far:

Intro
New Age Holocaust
FDA
Extermination Process
BYF
Doom
Instrumental
Duggada
Big Al

Most of these are obviously not the final titles...songs are usually referred to by the name of the PowerTab file I save them as. "New Age" used to be called "LOST" and "Extermination Process" used to be called "karen." I just name them after whatever's going on around me at the time. The title track is going to be either the intro or the instrumental. I'm really digging the title we came up with. We were going to call the album "Extermination Process" but we were told we could probably find a stronger title, so we brainstormed for a while and Jon came up with what we're settling on. I'll probably spend a good portion of the weekend messing around with tabs and working on some stuff to bring to practice on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8.11.09

    i talked with jonathan for a long ass time about the new cd, like i said to him; for the longest time the only improvable aspect of the band that i could come up with is the lyrical content and overall message... since the new album is taking an overall tone involving government and issues that the public may not be privy to, that definitely improves the one aspect that needed to be improved upon.

    cant wait till it drops!

    ReplyDelete